First off: anyone interested in Star Trek specifically or in my upcoming TV show posts generally should take a look at this post. If you don't care about Star Trek, skip right to the end.
That said: let's talk about Star Trek.
Folks, I've got a terrible confession to make: I don't think I'm going to like Star Trek.
My uncles love Star Trek. We had some of their old stuff in the basement, and growing up it was probably the only stuff I would bypass every single time I was looking for something to do. I remember drab teal and gray backgrounds, bland-looking people in bland-looking shirts and black pants, and some pictures of a thing that didn't look like what I expected a spaceship to look like. This was all art, granted, but none of it looked interesting at all. Even the pictures with aliens in them were just "this one is blue" and "this one is green." I might just have been too young to understand the appeal, or it might be right out of a different time and I'm too young to get it... I don't know. One way or another, I'm trying to come into this one with an open mind, but I do have a preexisting bias that says that this is booooooooooooring.
Here's what I know about Star Trek going into it:
• There's people on ships. They wear boring uniforms which are blue, red and yellow because primary colors were the style.
• Their ship looks silly. I don't remember how, exactly.
• Aliens look like people who fell into a vat of dye.
• The special effects, if any, are going to look bad and I'm going to have to cut them a lot of slack.
• They're going to boldly go to outer space. English teachers are going to boldly get angry about that.
• There's a guy named Kirk and he is a Captain. I will call him Kirk the Captain, because I am contrary.
• When I was very young I saw an episode where a guy had his head scratched or something and he was all metal and flashing lights inside. I don't know if he was a robot in disguise or turning into a robot or what but I remember it being something like that.
• The ship's doctor isn't real and it's a secret? or something.
• The show is very progressive.
...and that's the lot. I'd love to say I'm excited for this, but at this point from what I have to go on it doesn't sound like that great a thing. Still, I'm a persistent sort of guy and I've got a lot of free time to kill, so here we go.
Now for the part I said everyone should stick around for, and get your comment pens handy: setting up a format for TV responses. I don't think I can or should do two posts per episode; that will bog down quickly. What Roomie and I originally had in mind was that I would do the standard two posts for the first and last episodes of a season, and do a "second thoughts" format post for all the rest. However, since it's really for all of you that my output matters, I've decided to put it to the comments. Is the plan above generally good, and would you prefer to see episodes be first impressions or second thoughts in style? Leave your opinions in the comments here or on the RPGnet threads and we'll get them. Thanks all! :D
Time to boldly go annoy English teachers some more.